Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Juggling Family and Career...with attempted style


Doesn't that just make you smile??? I just couldn't love them anymore! They know right what mamma needs at night to get my spirits back up and charge me up for the nights work ahead! (alright you dancing king and queen, OFF TO BED!)

Once again the clock strikes twelve o'clock and I find myself burning the midnight oil. Handling job requests from earlier this afternoon, and trying to get a jump start on my work day that is only 8 hours away. As the kids get more and more busy with activities, I find less and less time in my day for work. I often joke with folks I meet that my office hours are 9pm to 2am! (yes I joke, but this often holds true). This tends to be the magical pocket of creativity for me as kids down to bed for the night, the house is quiet and I can actually have a little "ME" time during those hours.

I have been blessed with the opportunity to work as a freelancer, so I do have the flexibility to be home with my children, and engage with them throughout the day. I wouldn't change if for the world, however, I must be honest. It's much harder than it looks. Many a night I pray a prayer of forgiveness for guilt of not giving my children enough... or for going to bed with too many "to-do's" on my list for the morning, knowing that those I work with will be disappointed when the alarm goes off the next morning to find an empty inbox.

So how do we do it ladies? How do we have our cake and eat it too? Here are a few things I try to remind myself DAILY as I forge ahead on this windy road of little league vs. business meeting.

BALANCE- This is an area I struggle with, but I am trying to find the sweet spot. I do sacrifice my late evening lounging time to work, so that earlier in the evening I can spend the precious moments with my children before bed. My husband happened to work 5 nights a week (from 2-10) so I feel like a single parent many nights. Working to not have my children feel the void of daddy being away, I really do my best to give them my all while I can, and flow work into the other times of the day.

COMMUNICATION- For me, communication is critical in my work life. If I am going to be running to a soccer game, or helping out the preschool classroom, I have to communicate with my work collegues to make them aware of those times I will be away so that they can plan accordingly. I also use a Blackberry that allows me to access email so that I can keep up to speed on client requests and prepare mentally for the jobs waiting for my attention when I return home.

ME TIME- Now Im sure many of us working moms struggle with this one. I have ignored this area for too long and everyone suffers. If Mamma ain't happen, then NOBODY happy, right? In order to be the BEST mom and the best businesswoman you can be... it is so important to take a little time each week to invest in yourself. I personally enjoy working out a couple days a week with a group of friends. They keep me motivated and accountable to that ME time. Also, I do take day trips about once every 3 months to visit my sisters or friends, and leave the kids in my husbands capable care. You can't be your best YOU, if YOU are ignoring your needs. So be sure to find that special time and do something you enjoy.

The most important job I will ever have in this lifetime, is being a mother to my beautiful children. So that is and will always be my number one priority. But in this season of life, I need to be the breadwinner too... so I do my best to wear both hats as best I can... and accessorize my life with the jewels of my labor.

Be Greater, friends! Be your BEST you!

Love, the Oldest

No comments: